Monday, March 7, 2011

My Favorite All Canadian Wedding

Over my five years of photographing weddings in Canada and Europe, one particular wedding still resonates with me. The Genevieve Lemieux and Len Bijoux wedding in Stewart, B.C Canada.



Far away from city lights, noisy traffic and cell phone reception, lies a fishing lodge tucked away in B.C's pristine wilderness. The backdrop for this summer wedding was a glacier mountain with lush green trees and waterfalls running into the Portland Canal; which separates southeastern Alaska and B.C. The Father and Mother of the bride built this lodge which includes cabins, running water, electricity and a beautiful mile long dock where the couple exchanged their vows. To name a few of the exquisite foods enjoyed by guests were hundreds of fresh mussels, salmon and clam chowder soup.



So much work was involved in getting their 60+ guests to this remote destination. Shuttles from Stewart with every type of boat imaginable! SeaDoo, sail boat, speed boat, dinghy. Some guests were lucky to see porpoises jumping in front of their boat and spotted bears in the nearby forest.

Right after they said their vows, the newlyweds put on their gum boots and jumped on a SeaDoo heading towards our first photo shoot destination; a waterfall where Len proposed to Gen. My husband and I jumped in a boat to chase them down the canal, my husband steered while I used my long lens to capture their free spirited souls skipping across the water.



At the end of the night, the newlyweds had a surprise coming their way! Their loved ones actually built a honeymoon suite in the forest. But this was no ordinary 5 star hotel room. It was a honeymoon suite 30 ft in the air!! They built a tree house in between a cedar tree that split in two about 25 ft up. They even had a balcony!



To end the festivities with a splash, a few brave people jumped into the freezing glacier water the next morning! I couldn't because I was on camera duty.. that was my excuse anyways.

The sun was shining for the Bijoux wedding . A magical event, never to be forgotten. Did I mention how much I love my job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment